Plymouth Canton Schools
In 1830, when the first public school was established in a log house on Plymouth Road, there was probably no thought that the School District would today be Michigan's third largest and have three high schools, five middle schools, 16 elementary schools and grow in enrollment to nearly 19,000 students.
These buildings and the staff working in them are governed by a seven-member Board of Education. The Board meets twice monthly in regular session and meets at other times for workshops. Each Board member is elected by voters in the Plymouth-Canton community for a four-year term of office. The Board is charged with setting goals and establishing policies for the operation of the District. These goals and the policies to implement them include equality of educational opportunity and quality instruction. An outstanding teaching and support staff has made the Plymouth-Canton Community Schools well known throughout the state.
The District, 54 square miles, encompasses the City of Plymouth, Plymouth Township and parts of Canton, Northville, Salem and Superior Townships. Included in the District are shopping centers, modern subdivisions, industry and open farm land.